Saturday, August 9, 2008

F.E.A.R. on a Low-End PC



This is me playing the horror/action PC first-person shooter game F.E.A.R.



Finally got GameCam to display right in YouTube.

I'll discuss details about the vid tomorrow. Meanwhile enjoy Pentium 4 action at Extreme Difficulty without SloMo. You may want to click on the "Full Screen" button on the lower right (second from the edge) to see the bodies falling down clearly. >)_)

(Apologies for the frames though; video capture software do tend to be resource hogs. At least GameCam is lighter than FRAPS. Also, I'm using the trial version so there's no audio.)



Gotta learn how to disable that "CRV" GameCam screen (not visible in the vid); damn thing didn't allow me to see how many of my grenades were left the entire time.


Details (in case the video proves to be too small for you):

  • 00:02 - A replica soldier throws a grenade; it explodes a few feet from me.
  • 00:3 - I fire rounds into the smoke, killing at least one.
  • 00:15 - I throw a grenade, hoping to bounce it off the elevated concrete. It explodes and kills one light replica soldier.
  • 00:36 - I charge from cover and discover I killed a medium replica soldier as well. (Identified by the shotgun lying beside the clone soldier's body.)
  • 00:40 - I engage the heavy; all shots miss.
  • 00:46-00:47 - I check my flank. (The game's AI tries to flank players frequently!)
  • 00:51-00:52 - I engage the heavy and this time score multiple hits. I fail to take it down and have to take cover as another light replica soldier joins the firefight.
  • 00:58 - I try to flank the heavy only to discover more soldiers.
  • 00:59 - I kill one. I retreat to reload.
  • 1:03 - I charge back to find a soldier crouching and peeking behind the crate seen earlier. (Yes, the AI crouches AND peeks behind cover!) I kill the clone in short order; reinforcements arrive.
  • 1:07 - I fire rounds that stagger one.
  • 1:09 - a clone tries to run for cover while firing at me. It fails dismally as I gun it down with rounds designed to take down heavies.
  • 1:13 - To my amazement, I notice the soldier I staggered struggling to get up.
  • 1:15 - I didn't give it a chance to recover.
  • 1:20 - I try to flank again but fail to notice a soldier strafing at me.
  • 1:21 - I die a second later.

0 comments: