Thursday, June 26, 2008

BSOD: Stop: 0x0000008E



[Fubarred.
]


It's been a week. Tut. Last Sunday after playing a 3-hour marathon of F.E.A.R., I surfed the Net --- and forgot to turn AVG 7.5 back on. I know --- 3 hours is a marathon? AND I forgot to turn my AV back on? Sue me. Haha!

Just 30 minutes after surfing, my PC restarted --- and started a confusing ordeal of restoring from several restore points, registry cleaning, and reinstalling drivers. These were all for naught --- my PC still randomly BSOD'd. It would intermittently stop and show the "Stop: 0x0000008E" error message when I scanned or surfed.

It wouldn't pop the "Stop: 0x0000008E" BSOD in Safe Mode however, which led me to believe that a vital driver file had gone kablooey and scattered the remnants of its digital hull all across the virtual Hiigaran galaxy that was my OS, lighting up the spacescape with minute but myriad novas of 1s and 0s.

This is so ironic since a few days ago just after this happened, I was editing an article about how malware are now finding their way to numerous (not all!) legitimate sites. (Read: Turn on your anti-virus even if you surf legit sites.)

After three (? Four? I can't remember) years of faithful service, it was time to reformat the aging hulk that is my PC. Now I'm back up and running and so far, no BSOD "Stop: 0x0000008E " error message has shown up.

Which is just as well, I know my registry was as bloated as a Warcraft undead abomination.

0 comments: